Aug 20, 2026 11:43am IST

news-old-title

Anne Hathaway Pushed ‘Really Hard’ to Bring Julie Andrews Back for ‘Princess Diaries 3’ but the Icon Passed on the Role: ‘Whatever She Wants’

By Selome Hailu

Ayushi Agrawal

Disney may not be bringing Julie Andrews back for “Princess Diaries 3,” but it’s not for lack of trying. The offer is still on the table if Andrews ever changes her mind, according to franchise star Anne Hathaway, who will reprise the role of Mia Thermopolis in the film.

“First of all, I just want to say if she has a change of heart, we’re down,” Hathaway told Entertainment Tonight at D23. “But we also want to be respectful. For goodness sakes, if anybody has contributed to the world of entertainment and to our collective joy, it’s her. Whatever she wants, we completely understand. We did push really hard to see if she would want to do it.”

“I just want it to be fun. The women who were six when the first one came out — a lot of whom are now mothers themselves, maybe even with six-year-olds — I want them to feel like they’re bringing their children to something that mattered to them,” Hathaway continued.

Andrews recently confirmed in an interview with Today that she would not be playing Queen Clarisse again. “I think I probably passed… I think I’m retired, really, would be about the best description for that,” she said. “They asked me all last year if I would be keen to do it. It was very very hard to say ‘no,’ but I did because I thought I had a wonderful ride, and this one I felt would flourish very well and wouldn’t need Granny going in there at my age.”

Comment Icon 0 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

varietyindia

variety india